Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 3: What do I do with 20 pounds of tomatoes? The Sauce that cannot be named.


 Let's make homemade ketchup!

I know, I know, that's so not French! I will be kicked out of Paris if they find out. Please don't tell on me. Let's call it the 'Sauce that cannot be named'.

So, now that we've established I'm breaking all the rules by making the forbidden sauce. Let's go.

I checked out 7 different recipes for homemade ketchup. Threw them all together and came up with my own.

First I took all of these gorgeous cherry tomatoes and one big Beef Steak tomato, some olive oil and put them in a pot. I smished them with a giant spoon and cooked them on high for 15 minutes.


Then I strained them through the mesh. 


I added 2 cloves of garlic.


Half a sweet onion. 


One beautiful pepper from our garden. (Seeded)


Basil. 
One stock of celery.
2 whole cloves.
Salt.
Pepper.
A little coriander.
And cook for another 30 minutes. 



Then I took the immersion blender and went to town.


I strained again. 


And again.

Then put 3/4 cup of vinegar in the pot with 1/3 cup of brown sugar. 
I put the pot back on the stove to cook.
And cook.
And cook. 
It took about an hour to get to ketchup  'Sauce that cannot be named' consistency.


But it's good.
It's real good.
Even if it only yielded about a 1/2 a cup when all is said and done.

I don't even want dinner. I just want to eat this...'Sauce that can not be named.' 

I feel so naughty.

But that's French, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment