Thursday, September 16, 2010

Karen - Day 88 - Happy Anniversary

Karen sends her posts from Burbank, CA

Hubby and Me
Photo by Nick Barton

Today is our actual anniversary.
13 years.
Pretty amazing considering we met on a blind date, were engaged in 4 weeks and married 3 months later.
I had just come out of a very dark time in my life. A tragic death in the family, the end of a horrible relationship and a job I hated left me broken and lost and living back at my parents house with my fat cat, Leo and my Chow Chow, Smiley. They took us in with open arms no questions asked unless I wanted to talk, then they were there to listen, guide and teach. I was ashamed to be where I was but they never made me feel bad. I had a home there as long as I wanted. 2 weeks after we showed up, my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was there to help my Mom heal and my Mom and Dad were there to help me heal. I had a chance to regroup, rethink and regain control of my life. I had made some really bad decisions and had to face the fact that a lot of my choices had to do with fear and wanting to please people. I cut my hair as a symbol of shedding the last 2 years of my life. I quit a job I hated. I tried other jobs. All the crazy making people in my life had to go. I couldn't take it. And slowly I started to find my true spirit again. You know, the happy joyful kid inside us all. I see that spirit in my 4 year old son and it's beautiful.
I was happy again. It felt so good to be happy again. My family swam around me like healing dolphins. I started working at a job I loved, dated a few guys but then came to the conclusion that I might just never find that someone special to share my life. And surprise surprise that fact was okay. Then, about 9 months later, I was tricked into a blind date. I almost turned around and went home but because I gave my word I showed up.
I walked in the kitchen of my now sister in law's house and there was her brother. He was handsome and quiet and kind. 4 people watching us have a date that night was a little unnerving but he called me the next day and I went to his house to meet for dinner. As I turned onto the street where he lived I thought "Finally, I'm home." Which completely freaked me out because that's a little like stalker talk. That night he kissed me for the first time. He made me swoon and we fell madly in love. We had never talked about getting married but 3 weeks into us dating, I was driving down the freeway and I knew he was buying me a ring. I don't know how I knew, but I did. I thought about it for a week because I knew he was going to propose on Valentine's Day. Was this another bad decision? Was I just looking for some drama? Or was I (gulp) really in love with this person? This person who was an adult and didn't need me to rescue him. He had a life and a job and a car and health insurance. He didn't need anything from me. He just wanted to share his life with me. And I really, really, really wanted to share my life with him. I was home.
We thought about eloping for a split second but we really thought our families needed a celebration. A sort of coming out of the dark time. We didn't spend a lot of money. Hubby made the invitations, I bought my dress at Priceless Bridals for 399.00$, my parents paid for the food, his folks paid for the band. I was more excited to start our life together than the wedding, but I have to say, to this day, it was the best wedding I've ever been to. My Mom was cancer free and my Dad walked me down the isle.
Hubby and I honeymooned at Ventana Inn in Big Sur. It was magic. In the morning we would have breakfast in our spa robes while deer wandered up to say hello. At night we walked through the redwood forest to go to dinner.
But the best was yet to come. The next 13 years.

Here is the mystery that amazes me every day. Hubby is not perfect, I am not perfect, but we are perfect for each other.

Happy Anniversary Honey. Thanks for making my life beautiful for the last 13 years.

9 comments:

  1. another absolutely amazing post...so happy when i read or hear stories/experiences like this...as i said before love happy endings..may you have many many many more years together...and live to see your grandchildren's grandchildren. again thank you for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wedding was a perfect start to the rest of your life.

    Here's to decades more! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! Awe!! Freaking heck that's so romantic!!! I absolutely love this!! Happy Wonderful Anniversary!!!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely story! Congratulations! Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingvvvcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingcryingvcryingcryingcryingcryingcrying

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing...and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love you guys together. gorgeous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow What an absolutely beautiful story. Congrats and here is to the next 13.
    ME and ROE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember that date.
    I remember that wedding.
    I remember how happy you are every time we talk.
    Love and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete