Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Weigh In Week 18 - The Plateau Is Over!

Photo by Karen at French Skinny
Lunch

Weigh In Week 18
Goal: Lose 35 pounds in 6 months the French Skinny Way.
Lost 5 pounds this week!
Total lost so far: 19.5 pounds
*********

After the Victory Dance, I have tea with a little cream.
I'm just a couple pounds away from the lowest weight I was last year doing cleanses, protein shakes and a salads every day. Along with Cardio Bootcamp, step classes and running.
Once I lost the weight I gave myself a break. All of a sudden I had gained all the weight back and then some.

*********

Zanymad commented the other day about how hard it is to stop even when your full. I totally understand this. We eat for all kinds of reasons. It looks good, it tastes good, we're sad, we're happy, we're bored.....

This week I wasn't hungry. However, I really never realized how much I "mindlessly snack". I kept finding myself, even when not hungry, wanting to go grab some cheese or other "little something." Since I'm constantly getting snacks and food for my growing 4 year old, I'm around food all day. At night, after I put 4 to bed I would sit in front of the TV and zone out with a snack. I'm changing my habits. Now it's some chamomile tea, a little writing and bedtime.
I will not deny myself anything. If I am really hungry I eat. But if I'm eating out of boredom or anything else I walk away. This is the French way.
Shaboom was trying to explain this to me when she was here and I thought I was doing that but I really wasn't.
Yesterday I had sweet potatoe fries (10) and dipped them in mayo (as much as I wanted) for lunch, hot dog with everything on it and half a piece of corn on the cob. A scoop of chocolate fudge brownie ice cream for dessert. Like I said, I'm not denying myself anything.
I am really eating Shaboom size portions now.
I haven't done any stairs or big walks since last week's French Skinny Epiphany. Since I run around chasing a 4 year old all day, do all the cleaning and cooking I don't need to do any extra working out. (Let's not forget the all important "indoor cardio".)

I can feel my body burning the fat for fuel because I'm eating French Skinny portions.

Half a peice of French Toast for breakfast.
2 cups of coffee with cream.

Lunch was 2 pieces of French Bread with Brie cheese and a few grapes. Sparkling water.

For dinner I made brown rice (cooked with chicken broth instead of water) mixed with broccoli, corn and a soft boiled egg on top. I know the French like to throw an egg on top of things and it was delicious.


Things I do instead of "mindlessly snacking":
1. Clean the house.
2. Write.
3. Read.
4. Dance around with my kid.
5. Think about amazing recipes I can now make and eat without fear.



Photo by Karen at French Skinny

"This is not a diet. It's my journey to find The French Skinny Lifestyle."



9 comments:

  1. karen....i am doing the victory dance with you here on the east coast....you are truly an inspiration..i too have become VERY mindful of needless non-hunger munching/snacking, especially when i am preparing food -a taste here, there and everywhere...next thing i know- i am eating a meal without reverence as i am not really hungry from all picking/tasting while preparing...just a piece of my journey in all this. SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!-g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just cried...while doing the victory dance with you! I am diligently trying to listen to my body and only eat when I'm hungry...I am getting better at it. I never used to eat breakfast, and all my friends would lecture me on how it was the most important meal of the day. It used to make me sick to my stomach to eat in the morning. I began forcing myself to eat it and now my body thinks it's hungry. Lately I've been making half a piece of toast with butter and a cup of coffee. I eat a bite and then start making lunches or doing dishes. After two bites, I really don't want the toast. So I don't eat it. My body knew I didn't want it all my life...so I don't know why I let everyone tell me it was wrong. Thanks Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. g, I'm so glad to hear from you! Thank you for your sweet words and for sharing your journey:)

    Keri, THANKS!!!

    zanymad, you are all an inspiration to me. I'm so glad you're listening to your body. Just so you know, the doctor told me it was perfectly fine to not have breakfast if I'm not hungry and have fat to burn. Because my body will use this the fat as fuel. Unless you are someone with specific health problems.

    I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me but I have been reading and thoroughly enjoying this blog for the past week. It's my little break at work.
    I am a working wife and mom of 3 girls. 21, 16 and 2! Unlike with my first 2, since this last little bundle, I haven't been able to bounce back body wise. I have been reading the FSE with great interest.
    I went to school in France for a summer and remember eating everything in sight and still losing 11 lbs.
    I was so happy to read that after the epiphany, you broke the spell and beat the plateau. 5 lbs, that's fantastic.
    You have also taught me while I read your journey and now I think I get it. I think I am ready to adopt a little FSE in my life. Portion control the FSE way I can do, 80 flights and 8 miles a day I can't. Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bedazzled Mom, thank you so much for sharing! I can't wait to hear how it's going with you. Please, please let me know if The French Skinny works for you. You have inspired me today.
    Thank you again.

    xoxo
    Karen

    ReplyDelete