Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 148 from France:
No Anger Management Needed

Shaboom writes to us from Paris, France...

I have driven in New York city, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Germany, Denmark, Australia, Spain, Belgium, etc. and all over France. I'm not going to complain and say what I'm dealing with here traffic-wise and as far as driving-style compares to the atrocities I experience in Rome, but WOW is it a jungle on the road here in Paris.

First of all, this whole concept of "lanes" is not respected even though (for the most part) they are clearly marked on the pavement. Parisian drivers tend to swerve and split and hug lanes as they please with no regard to the other drivers around them.

Secondly, that blinky light thing that you can turn on by flipping a lever attached to the steering wheel, what's that??? Let someone know where I'm going? Use my turn signal? It's none of anyone's business what my intentions are!

Thirdly, and one of my most irritating daily battles ...DOUBLE PARKING, especially on narrow street where no one can pass the offending vehicle. We just have to sit and wait while you pop into the boulangerie to pick up your baguettes and have a 20 minute conversation with the baker. Thank you very much.

Fourthly, um... cut me off much?!?!

And don't even get me started on PARKING.

There are no parking spots to speak of at any time night or day in this city. Therefore, it's every man for himself. Some people park on sidewalks, double park, park facing the wrong way for fear if they turn around to get the space that someone else will beat them there, and my personal favorite parking in front of someone's driveway - mainly my own.

Imagine running out the door, late for an appointment, only to find that you can't leave due to the large metal obstacle that is blocking your way. &$(@#*&(_%Y#*!!!!! Finally, when you can't take it any longer and have spent 20 minutes on your iphone researching tow trucks, the offender shows back up at his car and yells at YOU for being irritated.

Him: But I just popped into the bakery for 2 minutes. Don't get your panties in a bunch!

Me: Um, excuse me dear sir. You most certainly did not as I have been out here for nearly a half an hour and have had the time to research and call for a tow truck.

Him: Why on earth would you do something as foolish as try to get me towed. That's just rude! You really need to learn how to be more patient.

Okay, so excuse me right now while I go take some deep breaths...




1 comment:

  1. I completely empathize with your blinker sentiments. And maybe some one-the-road politeness wouldn't hurt. A simple hand gesture for a 'thank you' would suffice.

    Interesting concept of a blog and what a pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete